Friday, September 7, 2012

Grass seed germination

We've been reversing some landscaping over the last year.  At the beginning of spring we had a pro come in and remove a large section in the back yard and seed some new grass.  Well, with the drought I was watering 2 or 3 times a day.  Germination was slow and weeds took over.  It's much better now but will need some attention this fall and next spring to get rid of weeds. I'm trying to be as chemical free as possible. 

I tackled a few smaller areas in the front yard by myself.  I read up and learned that Aug 15 - Sept 15 is the prime time for seeding cool grass lawns in IL.  I looked at the list of grass species in the premixed bags and discovered that many companies have a large percentage of ANNUAL ryegrass.  This stuff sprouts quick but is not designed to come back.  The other cultivars will eventually fill in where it left off.  The top seed types for our area is perennial rye and kentucky blue.  I bought 3 lbs of each from Big R's bulk grass seed.  Since 3 is better than two (is it?), then I also got a pound of red fescue. 

After preparing the ground and sowing the seed, I was blessed with many days of cooler weather and rain.  On non rainy days, I made sure the ground stayed moist.  The first area of seed germinated in about 6 days.  The other area in just 4.  The conditions were just right for seed planting.



 
My advice to anyone looking to plant new grass is to wait until fall to do it.  By this time the weeds are prepping to die and will not be as much competition to the new seed.  Crabgrass was a huge problem in the spring sowed back yard.  It must be controlled by a pre-emergent type herbicide (or a natural product, like corn gluten).  This means it has to be applied prior to growth.  Once the crabgrass is up, you're pretty much limited to killer products such as glyphosphate (Round Up by common brand name) and hand pulling.

 
 
I'm not completely chemical free, but I do try to choose the hand pulling method over most chemicals.  It may be crazy to some, in our hyper active culture, to spend time on your knees pulling weeds, but I actually enjoy the simplicity of it.  I'm also a little OCD, so, there you go.
 
 
If you have any suggestions on ways to prevent weed growth in new lawns, please let me know.















 

No comments:

Post a Comment