Thursday, September 6, 2012

DIY speakers





One of my hobbies I've held onto over the years is DIY speaker building.  When I was in middle school I started developing an interest in electronics (audio/video in general).  My dad passed down some old speakers and a receiver from his days as a rocker.  These things were OK in their day, but when I got them the woofer foam was completely gone.  Bass was like snap, crackle and pop.  I begged and pleaded for an upgrade one Christmas.  Dad got me a set of big Jensen tower speakers with 15" woofers.  These were ridiculous in comparison to what I had. 
Eventually I got the idea to tear apart the old rotted speakers and see what was inside.  I realized that they were built pretty cheap!  Real simple crossovers, no cabinet bracing, very little damping.  I got the bug and found Parts Express.  I dropped about $30 on some cheap 6.5" woofers, myler tweeters and some spring loaded terminals.  I picked up some 1/2" particle board and proceeded to come up with a pair of speakers.  I was aiming for the 'look' of NHT superzeroes (a hot item in Crutchfield).  Here is what I came up with that week in the garage.
My first foray into DIY speakers

Yes, I still have these things.  They have moved from home, to college, to home, to my first house, to my storage, to my second house, to garage duty, to my current house.  Why did I drag these things around?  One reason is that even though they look like crap, they are beefy heavy and sound surprisingly good in comparison to anything I could buy off the rack at a store. 

Fast forward about 10 years later.  I'm finally settled down with a great wife, kids and an OK job.  I got the bug again and built a small 8" amplified sub for the house.  A bit better quality craftsmanship and some better parts.  Still not great, but better. 
My latest build is a design called the Nano Neo, by Chris Roemer of the Parts Express tech talk board.  Chris designed these to use the little neo woofers by Dayton audio and small dome tweeter by Dayton as well.  I followed his plans and spent an entire winter building a set.  I used rabbit joinery on this pair which was fancy for me.  I got to test my skills at wiring up a crossover and saudering.  I even gave this set my first attempt at veneering.  The results were outstanding and the sound from these are amazing. You cannot believe the depth of sound from speakers that are about the size of a workboot box.  Chris did a great job with these and now you can find many examples online.  Here is a shot at my pair of Nano Neos. They are serving as front main speaker duties in our living room.

The sweet offset shot of the Nano Neos

Do you enjoy the world of DIY?  If so, what are you DIYing in your spare time?




No comments:

Post a Comment