Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Save money with DIY?

I was fortunate enough to have Columbus Day off.   This is usually the day that we get together and go to Pepe's in Lafayette with my dad and stepmom.  This year we had to pass this up due to lack of funds and some van issues.  So, instead of taking a leisurely fall drive and stuffing my face full of the most excellent mexican meal...I stayed home and performed a DIY brake job on the van.  I actually knew that the front brakes were beyond their days due to the overwhelming amount of brake dust that was accumulating on the wheels.  Within the last few weeks I could hear a rubbing noise coming from the wheels.  So, on Sunday night, I took the wheels off, removed the brake pads, and purchased the new ones.  I was all ready to install them Monday morning.  Upon installing the calipers, I realized that one of them had failed. The caliper piston had overextended and would not retract into the bore.  I also had some badly scored rotors.  New parts were going to run about $200, which I didn't have available.  Cue Ro Jo!  I called my dad and told him of my dilemma.  He agreed to pay for the parts so I could get the van back together. I would then have to repay him when we got the money.  I'm pretty lucky to have a dad who is willing to do this sort of stuff for me (our homes are only about a block from each other too).  After getting the parts and reinstalling, it was time to bleed the brakes and get it back together.  Called dad for one more appearance and he helped me get the fluid topped off, brakes bled and tires rotated.  The whole process was relatively smooth with one hiccup when we had an airlock in one of the brake lines.  The line was not producing any air pressure or fluid.  We finally got the pressure back and sealed the deal.  Now the van is running 2 new front rotors, 2 new front calipers and all new front pads.  At first I thought it was a wasted day.  I spent half of the time working on this car when we could have been making our ritualistic trip to Pepe's.  But, at the end of the day, I got to spend some time getting my hands dirty with my dad and then enjoying the evening at home with the wife and kids.  All in all, I would say it was well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment