Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Garage workbench

Over the past several months, I have been slowly changing up the layout of the garage.  A man just can't work in someone elses garage!  It has to be customized for our personal usage.  This is major.

The past owners had a pretty long workbench mounted along the north wall of the garage.  This "bench" was apparently built for someone tall.  It came up to my chest!  Not a very comfortable working height at all.  The top was in pretty rough shape.  It was 3/4" plywood but had seen some use.  It appears, from the layers of metal shavings I found, that a grinder once lived on one end of the bench. 

On the east wall (or the back of the garage), there was a 6 foot high loft.  It was essentially a wall mounted workbench mounted up high on the wall.  It was 2' deep and supported by a diagonal brace.  The loft ran the entire 12' width of the garage.  Drywall was installed AROUND the framing for it.  It also made it dark in the back of the garage because it blocked any light from reaching the ground. 

So, that is what I have to work with.  A lot of this will come down and one large, long, 36" high workbench will be mounted along the back wall.  2x2 framing and 3/4" ply for the work surface.  Should be a good space for building some customer speaker enclosures!

I will post pics as I progress.  Check back often and let me know what you think?  Got any ideas? Good tips to share?  How about pics of your own garage?  Tell me what you like about your workspace.

No comments:

Post a Comment